How does Cherry Orchard First School know if my child needs extra help and support?
There are systems and processes in place which allow us to quickly identify children who may require additional support. Children may be identified for the following reasons:
- They are performing below age related expectations
- They are not making expected progress
- Concerns have been raised by parents/carers or the child
- Concerns have been raised by staff through the internal referral system
- Through liaison with external agencies
- Due to a health diagnosis
When children join us from other educational settings they are supported using information gained from their previous schools whilst assessments are taking place.
If additional support is required then the child may be placed on the SEND register or advice from an external agency may be sought. Parents/carers will be consulted and informed throughout this process. If a child has complex SEND then they may have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
The decision made to provide support for pupils with additional needs is made through collaborative working with all agencies including parents/carers and pupils.